Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Brooks Conversations - Fairies

For no reason at all, one day we told Brooks that fairies live in the basement of our house and also in the air vents throughout the house. As a surprise to us, he's really become fixated on this "concept" (aka our lie). He likes to look down the vents and shout hello to the fairies and asks a lot of questions about what the fairies are up to over the course of the day. He also reminds us to be quiet when the fairies are sleeping, which seems to be a lot. In his mind, I guess the fairies are kinda lazy.

The other day at lunch, he struck up a conversation about the fairies... completely out of nowhere.

B: Mom, do the fairies wive in the basement?

Me: They do.

B: Are dey dere now?

Me: Yes, they are.

B: But what do dey do down dere?

Me: They live their lives, just like you and I do up here.

B: But dey... dey... (thinking really hard) dey have a house down dere.

Me: Is it a nice house?

B: Yeah. But dey have a slide at deir house. And swing set.

Me: Cool!

B: Yeah and dey have a car. Dat deir Daddy drives. And dey have a play house in the yard.

Me: Oh my goodness. Lucky fairies!

B: Yeah and dey have a tree house dere too. And dey have a sand box. And dey play all day! Dey have fun, Mommy.

And that's when I realized he's basically communicating all the things he wants to have at his house. It was so subtle, but I for a second I wondered if he was trying to subliminally convince me into buying these things for him. Complex manipulation. Apparently, it starts at three.


No comments:

Post a Comment