Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Thank FULL in 2013


We have a little distressed wooden sign above our sink that says "thank full." We found it at a store in Raleigh and loved it immediately because we really do need to remind ourselves to be full of thanks, all day every day, for the countless things that we are so very lucky to have in our lives. And when life gets busy and stressful and annoying, it's easy to forget.

So as 2014 officially begins, here's what I am FULL of thanks for in 2013:

1. Bub. It really is hard to believe that I met him when I was only 19 years old. And now he's my husband and the father of my two boys. I never in a million years could have imagined the love he'd bring into my life when we shared that fateful night of dancing to 80s tunes in his fraternity basement. He is my absolute rock, and I would not be able to function without him. I could go on about him for paragraphs, but I'll save you the sap and just say that he is my very best friend in the world, and knowing that he would do anything for me gives me the confidence and strength to do (almost) anything.

2. The boys. They really could not bring me more joy. I look at Brooks and want to bottle up the total unfiltered joy and laughter and silliness that he experiences, and I marvel at how perfectly in the moment he is at all times. He makes me both wistful and euphoric at the same time. Sad because every second that goes by he is getting bigger, and I wish it would all just slow down.  Elated because his energy is so contagious it's impossible to feel otherwise when you are around him. And truly, I am envious because I would love so much to be able to live in his world again - the endless possibility and carelessness and magic of childhood. Carter is the sweetest soul I ever did meet. His whole body radiates warmth and love. I hug him and never want to let go. And even though I don't want to wish a second by, I cannot wait to see the little person he is going to become.

3. Our families. It's not everyday that a person is blessed with one supportive family in their lives but the fact that I have two makes me lucky indeed. My Mom and Dad have been such a positive example of love and dedication to each other, and they would do anything for me (and they pretty much have over the years). They've taught me to work hard, to take care of the people in your life, and to have fun along the way. My sister has gotten funnier and smarter every year. Our friendship continues to get deeper and deeper. I know we'll be able to depend on each other forever. The Powells are also such a great example of love and generosity. They have taken me in as if I were their own daughter, and I am so thankful for their care and kindness. They raised Bub to be the man he is today, and I'd say they did a superb job. I didn't have a brother growing up, but if I did, I'd want him to be just like Hunter: thoughtful and passionate about life!

4. Our friends. Over the years we've been so lucky to have friends in our lives that love us. If we are made better by the people we spend time with then I know we are in really good hands. We wish we lived closer to many of them, but the times we do spend together leave us feeling grateful to have loved ones who will both celebrate and commiserate with us for years to come. Our oldest friends have seen us through the good times and the bad, and we've all grown up together, watched each other become husbands and wives and mothers and fathers. It's an amazing thing to see. I look forward to all the fun ahead.

5. Annie.  Because she takes care of our boys as if they were her own and, to me, that's the most important job on the planet. She does it all with grace and a smile - and I am in awe of her all the time. She looks out for Bryson and me too - and goodness knows, we need it! Hard to believe she so fortuitously fell into our laps over two years ago.

So here's to a 2014 as bright and joyous as 2013 - and to always being full of thanks for items 1-5 above. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment