![]() |
| Otis front and center in our "family" photo session |
Welcome to our family blog! It's what I hope will be the first of many posts... if I can just keep myself disciplined to write every once in a while. After all, we now have not 1 but 2 crazy boys to keep up with. Every week Brooks develops some new habits (some good, some "NOT NICE!") and every day Carter gets a new fat roll! Combine that with the fact that every minute my brain is foggier (can I still blame the hormones?)... it's time to start writing this stuff down.
I'll be completely honest and admit that the reason I am starting this blog now (after having my second child instead of with my first) is that I thought we had developed a much better system for Brooks than blogging. We started sending him emails to theadventuresofbrooks@gmail.com recounting the first two years of his life. I imagined the touching moment when he would one day read them all, right before he left for college... his eyes teary realizing how much we adored him, how much hard work we put into raising him. He'd give us a long embrace, he'd promise to call home every day, and it'd be a really heartwarming moment for everyone.
Then, two things became clear to me. 1) Brooks is a boy... and a boy probably won't have a transformative experience reading a bunch of sappy love letters from his Mama. Maybe? A girl can dream, right? 2) Mama can barely keep up writing to Brooks, so chances are slim that theadventuresofcarter@gmail.com would get much traction. Sorry, Carter. Love you, but that's just the way things roll for number twos.
So alas, the Powell family blog is in business. One place where I can write about BOTH silly monkeys, daddy and Winston too. Just everyday life with me and my boys, up close and personal, the electronic edition. And the best part is that you can follow along and KEEP ME HONEST about writing... at least once a month!
And finally, a word about the name of our blog. Brooks is now a big brother. And that's a transition with many ups and downs. Otis is a scruffy, unassuming blue puppy dog that has officially become the fifth member of our family. During these last seven weeks of Carter's life, Otis been there for Brooks in good times and in bad. The only time they are apart is during naptime (because otherwise they stay up for two hours feverishly discussing how they will save the planet together) and when Otis gets so dirty he needs a bath (which happens quite often after Brooks tries to feed him watermelon or gets him caught beneath the wheels of the plasma car). When they finally do reunite, Brooks acts as though it's the first time he's seen him in years. Sheer delight! Total joy. He hugs him with such love and tenderness that it reminds me he truly is a sweet boy, even though he launched Thomas the train at Carter's head only minutes before. "Where's Otis?" is a simple question, but for Brooks, in that moment, it means everything.
![]() |
| On the run with Otis in the "tunnel" |
![]() |
| On the move with Otis on the "Plas Car" |
So here's to reveling in the little things, living in the present, and seeing the world through a child's eyes. Three things I need to do more of every day. I hope you'll enjoy reading along.



Carter bean!! He is a bundle of sweetness. Holding him is like a warm cozy hug. xxoo
ReplyDelete