Because of his complete and utter obsession with "cars and trucks and things that go" we agreed that a transportation theme could strike the perfect balance of two-year-old chic and traditional charm.
It wasn't long after we found some adorable airport inspired bedding that we concluded our hunt for the room's centerpiece, a right of passage for little toddlers everywhere... the BIG BOY BED. We found it at a consigned furniture shop and had it custom painted it the perfect shade of navy blue.
Now, the bed has been in his room for months. We read on it before bed every night. He sleeps in his crib and stares longingly at it across the room. We've talked about his this bed and how he would one day sleep in it for what feels like longer than he's been alive. But at long last my friends, the day finally came... as of August 25, 2013 Brooks slept OVERNIGHT in his big boy bed!
We tried at nap first... and this is what happened.
We sat and watched him on the monitor as he wrestled the pillows, got into downward dog over and over again, played with the window blinds, tried to escape twice, and continued to talk to himself for 2 hours before he eventually started crying... and we determined the experiment was over.
But then later that night, he was a new man. We read three books, said our prayers, the usual routine. He climbed into the big boy bed, immediately lied down, said "tuck in tight with Otis?" and then proclaimed "Night night. Mommy, close the door." Well ok then, B! Much to our amazement, he didn't move once.
As I was leaving, I thought how small and sweet he looked in that big twin bed. As much as I wanted this to be a smooth transition and as excited as we've been to try it, seeing him lying there hit me in a strange way. I wanted to scoop him up and hold him tight and kiss him again and again. I found myself thinking "Are you sure, Brooks? Are you sure you want to be so big? Let's get back in the crib and rewind. Mommy needs more time."
I imagine this is one of those special parent feelings you only understand once you experience it. What felt so unique to me that night probably puts me in the club of moms everywhere who know all too well that funny mixture of pride, nostalgia, worry, amazement, excitement for what's ahead and wistful longing for what has already passed.
Time is flying. I look at Carter and am so glad to have another baby to go through all the milestones with because Brooks seems to be traveling through life at light speed.
I know it will feel like mere moments before I marvel at what a big, awkward, smelly, independent 15 year old he is, not needing me to tuck him in tight or make him feel safe at night. But on his first night in the big boy bed, he was a brave, happy, healthy, spunky 27 month old sleeping like a champ.
The next morning he was still asleep when we woke up with Carter. He was upside down with his head wedged against the hard wooden footboard, but still asleep. We'll take it!







What a cute and tender posting. Brooks is the perfect little boy to chronicle. He is so delightful and so delighted with everything. Can't wait to see what delights Carter will bring! Looking forward to more postings from my daughter about her life with all her "boys", her decorating and her journey. Posted as a proud mother and "NeNe".
ReplyDeleteAs I read this post, I felt so many emotional feelings rekindled from years past, remembering all those benchmarks we, as parents, worked towards, and then the feeling that we crossed over a "bridge" and we won't be back that way again. It is a little bittersweet. Having a second baby is such a special gift, to relive it all again and treasure each moment. Brooks and Carter tug at my heart. Love, Gigi
DeleteBrooks--Call me and I'll tell you how to disable that surveillance system. All you will need is a hammer and access to a big-boy potty. Dave
ReplyDelete