Saturday, June 20, 2015

Ahoy, Birthday Boys!

 

This year I decided it’d be fun to throw the boys a joint birthday party. Since they are only 2 weeks apart, and since Carter doesn’t really have any of his own friends yet, I figured I should take advantage of single party planning as long as I could. We hadn’t really had a lot of our friends over since we moved into the new house, so it was a great way to entertain too.



We chose a pirate theme because I knew the boys would get into it, and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Nene, Pops, Gigi, Gramps, Lindsay and Matt all came in town to celebrate - and as is now a birthday party tradition, Uncle H surprised us withe a visit!



We invited a lot of good friends from HVCC, neighbors, Wake, and other Durham connections - so it was a lively bunch! Lots of kiddos running around and having fun. Only problem - it was HOT. Of course the 90 degree heat wave descends on Durham just in time for the party.

 

We had set up most of the fun outside and everyone just sweated it out… especially the kids in the bounce house who became drenched in sweat after only 3 minutes of jumping. I’m pretty sure an outdoor bounce house in 97 degree heat and 90% humidity violates some kind of child safety laws. But they had fun!

We also had a big cardboard pirate ship which the kids loves, a “walk the plank” station where they walked on a piece of plywood over a baby pool, a scavenger hunt for buried treasure (Pirates Booty, Chips Ahoy, and Chocolate Gold Dubloons), and pirate hats, telescopes, eye patches and bandanas to look the part.



Brooks and Carter had so much fun. I think they really felt special being the birthday boys. Brooks’ eyes lit up when we brought out the big cake and they both loved everyone singing them happy birthday.



The only person missing was Annie who, believe it or not, went into labor right around the time of our party!! We’re so excited about sweet baby Millie so we don’t mind. They’ll be there next year.

I truly cannot believe we now have a 2 and a 4 year old. As much work as they are (and as physically demanding as 31 pound Carter bean is), this is such a fun time. They find joy in each day and look for fun in everything. I love their sweet sense of wonderment and adventure at life. Boy oh boy do I love these little Powell nuggets.








No comments:

Post a Comment