Wednesday, December 10, 2014
We Reunited and It Felt So Good
Bryson and I were thrilled to host this year's "Wake Reunion" (we really need to come up with a better name for it!) right here in the Dirty D. Several months back, we volunteered to have the Jenkins, Keaneys, McKenzies, and Mortaras to our new house for a low-key family weekend. Sound like a lot of people in one house?! It was! But packing the rooms (and every closet!) full of mattresses, air beds, and pack n' plays made for one very fun and cozy weekend. This was our second reunion like this (last one in Charlottesville), but we had skipped it last year - so we were all long overdue for a visit! Needless to say, we had a great time.
It was especially awesome seeing all the kids playing together. Everyone got along splendidly, and we only had a few moderate meltdowns (mostly from my children). There was the fact that Brooks chipped a tiny part of his front tooth on what I believe was Coleman's head after jumping off the McKenzie's air mattress with Addie. But who's counting teeth?! All in all, I'd say that was pretty good considering the wide-array of scenarios that could have ensued from 6 toddlers under 4 years old in one house for a weekend. Coleman, Calder, Addie, and Cate are all such adorable and sweet kiddos - they are welcome back for a visit anytime. Brooks really missed everyone when they left. He repeatedly asked "where did all my friends go?" for the next 3 days. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to leave!
The adults had a great time too. Maeve joined us for dinner Friday night, we played a "lovely" new game called Cards Against Humanity thanks to the Keaneys, we had a gag gift exchange, and we even escaped our children for an adult-only dinner at Mateo on Saturday night. Kelsie slept over on the couch that night too proving we were not yet at max capacity!
I know people say this all the time, but I really, truly love my friends. And I love how we've all stayed a part of each others lives for so long. And I love how our families now interact and enjoy each other. Old friends are the best kind. There is no replacement for it. They've known you in different phases of your life, they've watched you play many different roles over the years... and they understand, love, and support you, each in unique ways.
Until our next "Wake Reunion," I will be missing everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment