Sunday, October 5, 2014

New House, New Job, New Powells

Home, sweet home. 11 Surrey Lane.

Well, we are officially all moved in. Sure, there are still boxes everywhere. Sure, when I look around the house all I see are things that “need finishing and fixing.” But, we’re in, and we love it, and it’s officially our new home.  It had been such a long time coming that sometimes it’s hard to believe it actually happened. In fact, about 72 hours after we’d been in the house, Brooks exclaimed “Do we LIVE here now?!?!” like it just finally occurred to him and in a tone of total shock and amazement. “Yes, Brooks. We live here now!!” 
Moving day. Whole life in a truck.

Painted over the dark wood paneling.
Painted the cabinets in the kitchen.
Wallpaper removal in all of the bathrooms.

We’ve made progress on hanging wall décor and identifying all the places where we eventually need furniture. We painted four rooms ourselves. We installed two light fixtures without the use of a professional electrician. (And by we, I mean Bryson.) We had new countertops installed on Monday and we’re awaiting a plumber to come update one toilet, one faucet, one new kitchen sink, and two showerheads. And we’re replacing some pretty nasty carpet in the basement. So we’re getting there!! But still more work to be done.



Early progress in our master.
One bed for him, one for a friend!
New countertops in place and light too.

The other new development is that I got a new job! I’m going to be working at a company called Spoonflower helping a former colleague on product development. 4 days a week! I really doubted I’d ever be able to find a job that a) fits my passions so much and b) offered me the flexibility of a reduced work week. It was bittersweet to leave McKinney after 7 great (long) years, but I’m ready for a new challenge and to stretch my brain in new ways. AND to spend more time with the boys. I start October 7th.


Brooks was very helpful while packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment